This Forum has been archivedVisit Discussions
This is a request for comments about my proposal for changes to the front page.
There is a great deal of room for improvement in the front page. It is a page that hasn't changed much in the past month despite the huge surge in traffic. While this game is popular, and through the rest of the holiday season, I propose that we make a few updates to the front page to draw in new players, and help existing ones get more immersed in the lore of the game.
First of all, there is an awesome trailer of Dragon Age out there - the Sacred Ashes Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqVAjmqgmcY. It would make for a better "advertisement" for DA out there - and would drive more curious visitors to buy DA. This in turn will result in more readership for this wiki.
Secondly, I think we can drop a Character Highlight and just go with featured article. They are both "featured articles" in a sense, with the Character Highlight having a restriction that it has to be about someone. By removing one, we have more articles to cycle through and it would give the front page a fresher look. On this note, we also have many good articles and I think its conceivable that we can rotate one every two or three days and still be able to keep content fresh.
Lastly, if we do remove the Character section and move the Media section to the bottom, it would allow us to put the News category into the no-need-for-scrolling screen space. That way, anyone can see what's the most recent update / shout-out, announcements without having to scroll. We could use this section to thank a new contributor who has made a lot of changes, or to bring attention to an important article that needs updating.
- --Tierrie 20:34, November 30, 2009 (UTC)
- Good trailer, makes me want to buy the game again. Good point as well about having more pages to cycle through by removing the character highlight section, although it's possible the powers that be want to advertise various characters (although Duncan has pitched a tent there for awhile, if I'm not mistaken). Seeing the news without scrolling seems like a pretty good idea, as well. All in all, I can't disagree with anything you said; great ideas. If it picks up steam and seems likely, I might be able to find time to kick the GIMP and see what falls out. - Pwr905 03:08, December 1, 2009 (UTC)
- Yep, I definitely want the front page to be as good as possible. Don't think the Sacred Ashes trailer passed us by ;). It was front and centre of the main page from October 13 to November 25. So as a long time visitor I was ready for a change, though it is undoubtedly the most spectacular DA:O trailer so it might be worth switching back. You're exactly right that there's no reason a character article can't be a featured article, and there are probably only 10-15 characters that could be used in that section, so I think it makes sense to nix "Character Spotlight". I don't know why it hasn't occurred to me before.
- Putting the news up the top sounds good, hopefully we'll have a lot of exciting news to add.
- Something else I've been thinking about is changing the origins button to a quests button, and whether the side bar needs to be re-organized. I think it functions, it could just function better. Any thought? Loleil 00:45, December 2, 2009 (UTC)
- I love that idea. Its great! The only thing I'd suggest is to make it even MORE ambitious. Here's an example of a great Wiki site. Its a simple game but its table of contents are one link deep. Anything I need can be found within one level. Our game is more complex, but two level of tables makes it non user friendly. Plus, there's no need for the top Content - people either know what they are looking for, or they are browsing - at which point we should have them check out the "most recent cool page" linked from the news section. --Tierrie 19:45, December 2, 2009 (UTC)
Alright so we are building consensus. So is the suggestion for the side-bar is to give each category its own row? So instead of reading
- Dragon Age
- Top Content
It will read
- Dragon Age (link to main article)
Open to suggestions about what should go there. It looks like there are no objections to the other proposed changes. I will get started on the other changes tomorrow. Also would people be interested in my setting up a news archive. Currently old news is just deleted, but it wouldn't be much work to make one, but I don't know if it would actually serve a purpose. Loleil 09:07, December 3, 2009 (UTC)
I loved the new changes, the news was finally in no-screen-scroll place. But Snfonseka reverted those changes. With no explanation. I am perplexed why this was done - especially after this lengthy discussion and a request for comment from the community. If he/she had an issue with the changes, I would again would have loved to listen to their point of view here. --Tierrie 08:42, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Please note that by moving the video to the bottom of the page we are making sure that the user won't see the video unless he / she scroll the page to the bottom (we have a lengthy "News" section). Actually, if we are going to keep this setting, I believe we are ignoring the entire purpose of placing the video in the first place. The entire first page is filled with text where this video is the only "multimedia" feature we have in the front page. Are we going to sacrifice that over the ability to view the news without scrolling?
Please keep in mind the amount that the user needs to scroll when the "video" is in the bottom of the page vs. the "news" in the bottom of the page. According to my understanding by keeping the "video" on top of the "News" we are archiving the both goals. -- Snfonseka 09:13, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
- That's correct that the user will need to scroll to see the video. However, I am taking into consideration how often someone needs to see a video (once per new user) vs how many times news is checked (every day for every user). In my opinion, the entire Front Page is an inefficient use of space. The 6 icons take up nearly 50% of the space. I have never once clicked on any of these icons. I cannot say that my user experience is the same as everyone, but judging by the most visited pages, the forum posts and discussion boards on the internet - the most pressing questions are ones such as "what is the level cap?", "where do I find this item?", "how do i get past the landsmeet?", "how do i get romatically involved with X". These questions cannot be answered within 1 mouse click off the main page. And until the recent table of content changes, they often needed to be searched to be found.
- So my proposal was to redo the front page - and Loleil did a great job in handling that initial change. So lets move forward instead of back in bringing back those repeat users by making sure their questions can be found easily --Tierrie 09:22, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for making those changes. I made some suggestions regarding revamping the front page - and that's something only the admins can do. So it has to be you, Selty or Loleil. Mytharox is working on maps at the moment and Pwr905 and I are working on including every item in the game into the Wiki. Once that's done, I will be glad to template up some front page changes. --Tierrie 09:28, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
- I didn't mind, the video up the top, but I do feel the aesthetically it looks better at the bottom, and Tierrie's point that we are unlikely to have access to new videos for a while, but very likely to have access to lots of new news, is a valid one. Also the news bar is probably a little longer than I would usually keep it as I was loathe to delete JoePlay's news about 1k articles and 1 mil page views. If it's a bit shorter, videos will be easier to view without scrolling.
- To my mind, the front page is still a work in progress, and I would welcome any suggestions on how to improve its functionality. And Tierrie, the front page is only locked to new and unregistered contributors, so if you want to make some minor updates I'd encourage it. No one stopped me or Snfonseka making changes before we were admins, so it seems only fair to give others the same chance . Loleil 10:46, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Front Page Editing
Please let the all the admins know if there any change in the front page. Because front page should be change after some agreement among the users and the admins. As for the 6 icons I think Selty has done a great job and I don't see any reason for changing that since it adds more attractiveness for the front page (Also please don't forget that we have a long list of quick links in the right hand side for quick reference). Because I believe the front page should be a attractive page rather than a page with a bunch of links. It will be really unwise decition to reversing these excellent work done by Selty.
Also I need to say moving "video" in to the lower section is a mistake according to the my understanding and believing. So I will suggest we need to consult other admins as well regarding this front page matter before changing this. If the majority agrees with the changes we can proceed, if not we cannot. So I will change the front page to the previous status until we can agree on this. Please note this is a temporary change until we agreed on the changes. Please let us use a democratic way to come up with the changes to the front page, because front page is the heart of this Wiki. -- Snfonseka 12:53, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Thanks Snfonseka. Personally I think we need more front page links (not buttons just indexes to categories and articles) and perhaps even another picture at the top?--Selty 14:28, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
What ever we do to the front page, we need to make sure that the final result should be more attractive than the current one :) -- Snfonseka 14:41, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
That's a great idea - I do really like Selty's icons. If I do end up making mock-ups of the front page, I will be sure to keep them. In fact, I was hoping Selty could make some more for the newer categories that popped up. What I dislike is that huge amount of black space to the top, left and right of the logos. --Tierrie 18:35, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
I would like to mention that we should bring back the "Top Content" menu section back, because it is very easy to get an idea abot, which pages are the most popular, most edited pages etc. and if you take a look at many Wiki sites they are keeping this because it is very useful. If we are going to remove this we need to inform the others as well and get their ideas also. -- Snfonseka 13:30, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
- Looking at many of Wiki sites, only the ones that keep the default templates have Top Contents. The sites that have gone through some growth like Borderlands remove it entirely. Others like WowWiki modify it so that it is at most, one link deep. I prefer the former to remove it entirely. But, if there are strong opinions that it be kept, I suggest that it is made more friendly so that the articles are at most one link deep. The subsection "Recently changed" is a duplicate of the "Latest activity". And "Editor's Pick" is in essence, "Featured Articles". I suggest updating Featured Articles more often as well. --Tierrie 18:33, December 7, 2009 (UTC)