First Enchanter is the title given to the head of a Circle. The first enchanter is seen by apprentices as a father or mother figure, and an ambassador of peace to the templars by the other mages. First enchanters traditionally wear black robes.
A first enchanter is appointed by the Knight-commander from among the Circle's senior enchanters, generally with the approval of the Circle's mages. A first enchanter is usually someone who is respected by all mages and usually the templars too, and he or she is not always chosen based off their power and abilities.
A first enchanter officially has a broad range of powers. Their permission or consent is needed:
- for a mage to leave the tower;
- for templars to summon an apprentice for the Harrowing;
- for templars to make a mage Tranquil;
- for templars to move overtly against a Circle mage suspected of practicing forbidden magic.[confirmation needed]
However, the extent to which the templars allow a first enchanter to exercise their powers varies from tower to tower.
First enchanters routinely congregate in the city of Cumberland, at their College. They elect a grand enchanter.
Known first enchanters
- Adrian (White Spire, Orlais)
- Astebadi  (Circle of Antiva)
- Briaus  (Circle of Hossberg, Anderfels)
- Casimira†  (Gallows in Kirkwall, Free Marches)
- Edmonde† (White Spire, Orlais)
- Gwenael  (Circle of Nevarra)
- Illana† (Circle of Montsimmard, Orlais)
- Irving(†)see note (Circle Tower, Ferelden)
- Josephus  (Unknown)
- Orsino† (Gallows in Kirkwall, Free Marches)
- Raddick  (Circle of Starkhaven, Free Marches)
- Remille†  (Circle Tower, Ferelden)
- Rivella†  (Circle of Daismuid, Rivain)
- Sinclair†  (Circle Tower, Ferelden)