The Fallow Mire is rainy uncharted marsh located in the southern most part of Ferelden.
- 1 Background
- 2 Involvement
- 3 Places
- 4 Characters
- 5 Quests
- 6 Creatures
- 7 Hostile creatures
- 8 Enemies
- 9 Collections
- 10 Resources
- 11 Notable items
- 12 Codex entries
- 13 Notes
- 14 Gallery
- 15 References
Background[edit | edit source]
The bog here stretches on forever when traveling on the roads, especially at night when the mists become heavy and thick. There's enough good hunting to make the trip worthwhile; fish, birds, even a few harts. One thing to look out for though... when anything dies in the water— The Mire preserves it.
South of the Hinterlands, the land is wet and miserable, subject to seemingly endless storms. Some time before 9:41 Dragon, the village suffered from a terrible plague; killing most whilst driving others away. Those that remained finally fled after the arrival of a group of Avvar barbarians lay claim to the nearby keep.
The Fallow Mire is a sprawling stretch of isolated marshland in southwestern Ferelden. The muggy, treacherous bog was once home to a small fishing community called Fisher's End, which was wiped out by a plague that swept through a few years ago.—Excerpt from the quest journal
Involvement[edit | edit source]
At some point Widris, an apostate, found her way into The Mire after having fled from a Circle. She began studying the local flora in hopes of finding a way to create a potion that would help her breach the Fade and beyond. She created beacons throughout the bog and hid secret messages in veilfire runes across them.In the meanwhile, the Avvar tribe that recently captured Hargrave Keep also managed to apprehend several Inquisition soldiers. The soldiers are being held captive in hopes of some aggressive negotiations with the newly appointed the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor can gain access to The Mire by completing the Rescue Soldiers Missing in Ferelden war table scouting operation in Haven or Skyhold.
Places[edit | edit source]
- Avvar Leader's Base Camp
- Fisher's End
- Granite Point
- Hargrave Keep
- Hidden Apostate's Camp
- The Misty Grove
- Old Thoroughfare
- The Weeping Spires
- Fisher's End Camp
- Old Thoroughfare Camp
Characters[edit | edit source]
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Beacons in the Dark
- Beneath the Mire
- Cabin Fever
- Holding the Mire
- Lost Souls
- These Demons Are Clever
Rifts[edit | edit source]
Requisitions[edit | edit source]
- Artifact Requisition in the Mire
- Blue Vitriol Survey in the Mire
- Elixir Requisition in the Mire
- Summer Stone Survey in the Mire
War table operations[edit | edit source]
Creatures[edit | edit source]
Hostile creatures[edit | edit source]
- Bear (only at Granite Point)
Enemies[edit | edit source]
- Avvar Bowman
- Avvar Defender
- Avvar Warrior
- Dragon Piss - head west from the fourth beacon; take the path that branches to the northwest that leads towards two houses, search inside the second house further up the hill.
- Garbolg's Backcountry Reserve - search the house northwest of the Fisher's End Inquisition Camp.
- Freed Are Slaves (piece #6) - found within the locked room atop Hargrave Keep's battlements; see side quest Lost Souls.
Songs[edit | edit source]
- Shred of Blue - found within the locked room atop the battlements of Hargrave Keep; see side quest Lost Souls.
Herbs[edit | edit source]
Leather[edit | edit source]
Metal[edit | edit source]
Notable items[edit | edit source]
- • Grey Warden Banner - found in a corner near some crates in Hargrave Keep's far right arcade, opposite the door holding the Inquisition hostages.
- • Grey Warden Tome - found within the locked room atop Hargrave Keep's battlements; see side quest Lost Souls.
Loot[edit | edit source]
- (Cassandra only) - found in a chest inside the shack, west of the fourth beacon (near the Dragon Piss bottle).
- - found in a chest inside a shack on a small peninsula, south of the third beacon.
- - looted from the Hand of Korth; see side quest Lost Souls.
- - looted from a chest within the locked room atop Hargrave Keep's battlements; see side quest Lost Souls.
- - rewarded up completion of the side quest Beneath the Mire.
Codex entries[edit | edit source]
- Codex entry: Apostate Widris's Journal
- Codex entry: The Avvars
- Codex entry: Before Andrastianism: Forgotten Faiths
- Codex entry: Caspar the Magnificent
- Codex entry: The Daughters of Song
- Codex entry: The Empty Ones
- Codex entry: The Fallow Mire
- Codex entry: Gardner Diary
- Codex entry: Hargrave Keep
- Codex entry: The Lady of the Skies
- Codex entry: The Lost City of Barindur
- Codex entry: Notes on the Stars
- Codex entry: Rivain
- Codex entry: Shred of Blue
- Codex entry: Waterlogged Diary
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Unlocking the Fallow Mire as a new area for exploration can be done using any advisor. It is the only scout-related war table operation that can be done in this manner.
- Despite the name, Hargrave Keep is not a keep that can be taken in order to fulfill war table or Forward Scouts prerequisites.
- The summon undead effect from going into the water only holds for the controlled character; other characters that wander into the water from milling about do not generate the effect. Further, there is a sunken walkway on the main path west of the second beacon that cannot be traversed without entering the water and the water here also does not trigger the summon effect.
- Mounts are disabled in the entire region.
- Acquiring the Grey Warden Tome will unlock the Patron of the Arts song Shred of Blue.
- Despite the quest journal stating that the village of Fishers' End had been wiped out by a plague "a few years ago". Codex entries and environmental details from the area indicate that the plague had manifested and spread fairly recently. According to Codex entry: Waterlogged Diary the village was abandoned within the last ten days prior to the Inquisition's arrival.
- A supply cache is located atop Hargrave Keep's battlements (directly above the front gate).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Context taken from Codex entry: The Fallow Mire
- The first sign of the plague is coughing and going pale, like blood's run out of your skin. from Codex entry: Gardner Diary
- One water-soaked entry, dated 10 days ago, is still legible. from Codex entry: Waterlogged Diary
- Taken from Codex entry: Notes on the Stars