Background[edit | edit source]
Elfroot was first used by the elves of Arlathan, hence the name. The root gave their medicines particular efficacy, so when the Imperium conquered the elves, the magisters adopted its use and its popularity spread to all corners of the empire.
Elfroot is a hardy plant with large green leaves that grows wild in many places. It's so common that it tends to show up in most gardens and fields, almost like a weed. Unlike a weed, however, most people appreciate having access to the wonderful little plant. The roots can be used with very little preparation. Rubbing some of the juice on a wound, for example, will speed up healing and numb pain. And chewing on a slice of root treats minor ailments like indigestion, flatulence, and hoarse throats.
There are several varieties, but the most useful for herbalists are the Bitter, Gossamer, and Royal Elfroots.
Acquisition[edit | edit source]
- Random loot from sacks.
- Found in Haven, the Hinterlands, the Storm Coast, the Emerald Graves, Crestwood, the Arbor Wilds, the Forbidden Oasis, and the Frostback Basin.
- A large elfroot clearing can be found near the Sahrnia Inquisition Camp in Emprise du Lion; head west from the village of Sahrnia; search the north side of the road, there are 17+ to be found in a very small area. See attached image Elfroot found to the west of Sahrnia.
- War table operations:
- Available at the Crossroads Merchant in the Hinterlands for 20 (infinite amount).
- Available at the Caer Bronach Merchant in Crestwood for 20 (infinite amount).
- Available at the Stone-Bear Hold Crafting Materials Merchant for 20 .Note: Jaws of Hakkon required.
- Available at the Winter Palace Merchant for 20 (infinite amount).Note: Trespasser required.
Uses[edit | edit source]
Needed for quests:
- A Common Treatment
- A Well-Stocked Camp
- An Advanced Treatment
- Antivenom Requisition on the Coast
- Lotus and Root
- Elixir Requisition in the Mire
- A Better Courtyard
Required to craft:
Codex entries[edit | edit source]
- Codex entry: Elfroot
- Codex entry: Gardner Diary
- Codex entry: Healer's Notes at Redcliffe Crossroads
- Codex entry: Letter About Lyrium
- Codex entry: Patient Observations
- Codex entry: A Supply List
- Codex entry: Waterlogged Diary
Note texts[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- 16 elfroots are available at the Upper Lake Camp in the Hinterlands and then heading east by southeast to Calenhad's Foothold where the Thelm Gold-Handed, the Dreamer landmark is located. All of the herbs are in and around the castle. Travel to a different region and back to reset the nodes, the herbs will respawn in the same location.
- Elfroot's medicinal properties were re-discovered in 4:20, likely a joke by the developers that alludes to the code-term that refers to the consumption of cannabis and by extension, as a way to identify oneself with cannabis