The Warden has the option to speak with Alistair about the subject of Grey Wardens. During this conversation, if the Warden asks about Duncan, Alistair will reveal that he wished he had something of Duncan's to remember him by. Duncan's Shield is a gift that can fulfill that desire.
- See Grey Warden Vault for details.
- The shield is found on an Armor Stand in the Grey Warden Vault in Denerim. It becomes equippable after it is gifted to Alistair, who has a conversation associated with the shield.
- The regeneration values are for PC and Xbox/Playstation, respectively.
- Despite the description, the shield is not restricted to Alistair, and can be wielded by any character of sufficient strength.
- If you give the gift to Alistair after the Landsmeet while at Redcliffe Castle, the scene does not appear until you continue the quest in Riordan's room. He will automatically equip the shield for the next battle at Denerim (when not in the party). If he had a two-handed weapon equipped (bow or sword), Alistair will be forced to fight with just the shield.
- Duncan's Shield glitches like Fade Wall in Awakening and sits the wrong way on your back making it impossible to use.
- Through a glitch involving attempting to initiate conversation while facing the walls leading to the Grey Warden Vault, it is possible to 'teleport' into the vault and acquire Duncan's Shield much earlier in the game, potentially allowing the shield to be used for most of the campaign if one travels to Denerim immediately after departing Lothering.