Drakes are intelligent, almost sly, yet ferocious beasts. Once they have fully matured, male dragons seek out the lairs of adult females. When they find one, they move into her lair and spend the rest of their lives there, hunting for her and defending her young. Drakes never develop wings, unlike female dragons; at most, their forelegs grow vestigial spurs where wing membranes might have been. They have no need for powerful wings because once they bond with a female, they rarely travel far from her lair.
Drakes fight with sharp claws and crushing bites. They can spit gouts of flame and strike pulverizing blows with their tails. Drake Scales form a tough natural armor and their hides are prized for making suits of highly effective armor.
Male dragons never develop into the winged monsters of myth. At most, their forelegs grow the vestigial spurs where wing membrane might have been. Once they have fully matured, males immediately seek out the lairs of adult females. When they find one, they move into her lair and spend the rest of their lives there, hunting for her and defending her young. They will aggressively defend her nest, and many would-be dragon hunters have been lost to their fiery breath and crushing blows from their tails.
A high dragon will have a dozen or more drakes guarding her young, constantly fighting among themselves for the right to mate. They will aggressively defend her nest, and many would-be dragon hunters have been lost to their fiery breath and crushing blows from their tails. Drakes can live for a century, but usually die much earlier while defending the lair.
Dragon Age: Origins
- Six are found in the Mountainside Caverns. One is always present. Three spawn in the room with caged animals if you (or someone in your party) are not stealthed. Two can be summoned by the arcane warrior if he is left alive long enough to summon them.
- Another one can be fought while fighting Kolgrim on the Mountain Top before entering The Gauntlet. Granting extra 1 Drake Scale from its loot.
- ps3xbox360It is possible to get a random encounter on the world map called the Low Road with a drake.
- Wade can make armor (Wade's Drakeskin Armor and Wade's Superior Drakeskin Armor) from drake scales.
Dragon Age: Awakening
- A drake can be encountered in the Silverite Mine.
Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker
A drake is used in a blood magic ritual.
- It is possible to steal from drakes in Origins.
- Due to a translation error, drakes are named "small dragons" in the Polish language version of Origins.