The 2018 Game Awards teaser trailer was released on December 6, 2018. Most of the video shows a close-up view of the lyrium idol, a dwarven artifact uncovered by the Champion of Kirkwall during the events of Dragon Age II. The image shown at the end of the trailer depicts the idol in the center, an unnamed character to the left, and what is likely a wolf to the right. The idol is surrounded by seven circles, two of which have not been greyed out, and the ground appears to be on fire.
As of late 2018, it has been stated that the game has been in development "for quite a while." It was revealed at the 2018 Video Game Awards. Sources within BioWare have stated that the game will be released no earlier than 2021, and that, as of late 2018, the game is without an official name.
An April 9, 2019 article by Jason Schreier of Kotaku stated that the game was originally intended to be a heist-heavy, smaller-scope adventure revolving around a group of spies in the Tevinter Imperium. Players would have the opportunity to influence other characters, enjoy a rich companion roster, and watch the land and scenario change over time with their choices and--potentially, with multiplayer--the choices of thousands of other players. However, in February 2021 it was confirmed that the game will be exclusively single-player. There was no mention of the Inquisition in the Kotaku summary, and the protagonist was clearly not the Inquisitor.
The project was at some point referred to as "Joplin." The working title changed after much of Bioware's staff were routed from the project to work on the poorly-received Mass Effect: Andromeda and, later, the critically panned Anthem. The project was then rebooted, and named "Morrison." It is unclear how much of the Joplin's vision of Dragon Age 4 will figure into the Morrison vision of Dragon Age 4, and how much the troubled reception of Anthem as well as growing controversy over "crunch" development may affect release and production, in conjunction with Anthem’s code being reused to make the game.
During development, the decision was made to make Dreadwolf a live-service multiplayer game akin to Destiny. The decision was later reversed.
In a company earnings call, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen stated that the game would probably be released post-fiscal year 2022.
In July 2020, Mark Darrah reiterated that BioWare was continuing to work on the game, but that progress had been slow due to the amount of staff required to work from home (due to the Covid pandemic).
On June 2, 2022, the game’s title was officially announced to be Dragon Age: Dreadwolf.
During the events of Dragon Age: Deception #3, an elven servant named Gaius is revealed to be impersonating a Magister in Ventus while reporting to Solas. He reveals that a "weapon imbued with red lyrium" stolen from Kirkwall has been traded away for information. According to writer Nunzio De Filippis this was not something Solas would have approved of.According to the 2020 Game Awards trailer, the hero of the fourth Dragon Age game will be one their enemies "will never see coming." Narrator Brian Bloom as Varric Tethras confirms the hero will not be a figure of prophecy or a hero with a "magic hand," but a new hero set to take on Tevinter, darkspawn and even the Dread Wolf.
These are characters who have been featured in official marketing so far:
- Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - Everything We Know About BioWare's Upcoming Fantasy RPG - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-dreadwolf-everything-we-know-about-biowares-upcoming-fantasy-rpg/1100-6503858/
- Bioware Blog - A Message From Mark Darrah & Matthew Goldman – The Dread Wolf Rises http://blog.bioware.com/2018/12/06/thedreadwolfrises/.
- GameSpot - Dragon Age 4 Teased With A Trailer At The Game Awards https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-4-teased-with-a-trailer-at-the-game-awa/1100-6463750/
- Game Informer - Report: Dragon Age 4 Will Be Revealed At The Game Awards, But Is Several Years From Release https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/04/report-dragon-age-4-will-be-revealed-at-the-game-awards-but-is-several-years-from
- IGN's article
- Kotaku - The Past and Present of Dragon Age 4 - https://kotaku.com/the-past-and-present-of-dragon-age-4-1833913351].
- Dragon Age: Dreadwolf Is Coming, And The Great Thedas Egg Hunt Is On - https://www.kotaku.com.au/2022/06/bioware-dragon-age-dreadwolf/
- Kotaku - Don't Expect Dragon Age 4 Until 2022 Sometime - https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/10/dragon-age-4-bioware-ea-dont-expect-until-2022/
- GameSpot - BioWare Confirms New Dragon Age Game Is Still In Development - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/bioware-confirms-new-dragon-age-game-is-still-in-d/1100-6480033/?ftag=NLS-04-10aaa1d
- BioWare: Stories and Secrets from 25 Years of Game Development, p. 324
- Unofficial BSN. http://bsn.boards.net/thread/15233/new-comic-dragon-age-deception?page=17.
- The Next Dragon Age Official Teaser Trailer - 2020 Game Awards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7x685DxMcw