- “I'm here to set things right. Also? To look dashing. That part's less difficult.”
Born to the prestigious House Pavus of Qarinus in Tevinter Imperium, Dorian demonstrated from an early age a flair for magic which made him the envy of his peers. He studied at the Circle at Carastes, but was expelled at the age of nine after a duel with another magister's son left the other boy injured. He then moved from Circle to Circle and through private tutoring situations, though each tenure ended after another incident. In desperation, his father sent him to Minrathous to attend a smaller school run by the Order of Argent, known for their adherence to strict Andrastian discipline and exorbitant entry fees. Dorian disappeared three months later. He was found in a drunken stupor at a house of ill repute in the elven slums by Magister Gereon Alexius, who was amused enough by his behavior that he convinced Dorian to return to the Gilded Quarter rather than call the templars. Alexius was impressed by the conversation they had in the carriage and offered to take him as his apprentice. Dorian was personally tutored at the Alexius estate in Asariel, where he flourished. Four years later, he became a fully-ranked Enchanter in the Minrathous Circle. He split his time between aiding Magister Alexius in his research and partaking in the life of a well-heeled scion. He participated in Lower Floor debates of the Circle and attended social functions and balls.
With his magical ability, wit and charm, it would seem he would have had a promising career in Tevinter had Dorian not become a pariah for opposing every fault his homeland is known for. Dorian bears his ostracism with pride as he feels Tevinter will only change if someone like him makes a difference.
Dragon Age: Inquisition Edit
Seeking to halt what he perceives as the moral decay of his countrymen, he joins the Inquisition.
If the Inquisitor meets with the mages at Redcliffe, Magister Alexius' son, Felix, secretly passes them a note asking to meet in the Chantry. When they arrive, Dorian appears, asking for help in sealing a Fade rift. After the rift is sealed, Dorian introduces himself and reveals Alexius' allegiance to the Venatori, who are interested in the mark on the Inquisitor's hand. He also reveals that Alexius has invoked time traveling magic, once thought theoretical back in Tevinter, which is how he arrived at Redcliffe first.
If the Inquisitor chooses to confront Alexius, Dorian attends the war council in Haven, stating he could help the Inquisition's agents infiltrate Castle Redcliffe and avoid Alexius' magic to surprise his former mentor. Unfortunately, when they do, Alexius pulls out the time amulet to attempt to go back before the Inquisitor interfered with the Elder One's ritual at the Temple of Sacred Ashes; but Dorian interrupts him, accidentally sending both himself and the Inquisitor one year into the future, where the Elder One rules over southern Thedas. They are able to track down the future Alexius and claim the amulet from him. Using it, the two are able to return to the exact moment they left and defeat Alexius. Afterwards, the Inquisitor can choose to recruit Dorian into the Inquisition or not.
Alternatively, if the Inquisitor chooses to recruit the templars to seal the Breach, Dorian turns up at Haven to help the Inquisition, warning them that the rebel mages are now under control of the Venatori and have arrived at Haven with the Elder One to attack. After the Inquisitor arrives at Skyhold, Dorian can be found in his library niche on the second floor of the rotunda. Engaging him in conversation will eventually lead to the choice to recruit him or not.
After settling in at Skyhold, Mother Giselle informs the Inquisitor of a letter sent by Dorian's father, Halward, asking to meet with the family retainer at the Gull and Lantern in Redcliffe, but asks that they not tell Dorian. The Inquisitor can choose to reveal the letter to Dorian and either convince Dorian not to go or go with him to the tavern. The Inquisitor can also choose not to show Dorian the letter and instead just bring him to the tavern. Upon entering the Gull and Lantern, Dorian is surprised to see his father instead. Dorian gets angry, revealing to the Inquisitor that when his father learned that he was gay and didn't want to keep up appearances by marrying his betrothed, he tried to use a blood magic ritual, which Dorian was taught was "the last resort of the weak mind", to change his sexuality and make him comply with his family's wishes. Halward defended that he wanted what was best for his son, but Dorian retorts that he only cared about himself and his legacy. The Inquisitor can encourage Dorian to try to reconcile with Halward. Halward will then reveal that he feels guilty for having driven Dorian to the Inquisition, and wanted to ask for his forgiveness. Alternatively, the Inquisitor can suggest that they leave instead of talking with Halward, ending the quest. Either way, Dorian is grateful and thanks the Inquisitor for taking him to the meeting.
After the events at the Temple of Mythal, Dorian feels inspired to return to Tevinter. If he was in the party at the Temple, having learned from Abelas that the Imperium didn't destroy Arlathan, he observes that this truth would reflect badly on his countrymen, as it'd reduce their ancestors to scavengers, though he believes that Tevinter must accept the truth. If he wasn't in the party, he remarks on the ancient elven sentinels' survival and states that his countrymen can make amends. For either outcome, he feels that some Tevinters would resist but he believes he can follow the Inquisitor's example.If Dorian's approval gets too low, there will be a scene in Skyhold of him making plans to leave for Minrathous or have his remains transported there once Corypheus is gone. When questioned why he is so upset, he will confront the Inquisitor about the decisions they have made. Though he is disgusted with the Inquisitor's behavior, he wishes to aid in fighting Corypheus just to prove that a Tevinter stood against him. You have the option of convincing him to stay or ordering him to leave. He will leave the party permanently if you punch him in the face.
Dragon Age: Magekiller Edit
In the two years since Corypheus' defeat, Dorian has since become the official Tevinter ambassador to the Inquisition. The Inquisitor re-encounters him at the Winter Palace while he is in the middle of a conversation with Duke Cyril de Montfort.
Later on, Varric and several of the Inquisitor's companions hold a farewell toast to Dorian. Dorian explains to the Inquisitor that his father is dead, presumably by assassination, and he is to inherit his seat in the Magisterium, meaning he'll be departing the Inquisitor's company permanently. He also states that his friend Maevaris Tilani is making a push for reforms in the Imperium that he'd like to be a part of.If Inquisitor is friends with Dorian:
He then gives the Inquisitor a sending crystal so they can communicate.Dorian returns to Tevinter to take his father's place in the Magisterium. As rumors flew about the Imperium's infighting, Dorian was spoken of often as a voice of resistance against corruption. Along with Magister Maevaris Tilani, he formed a group called the Lucerni to restore and redeem Tevinter. If he is in a relationship with the Inquisitor it is indicated that Dorian's strength comes from a love he left behind and that on occasion the Inquisitor has been seen sneaking into the heart of Tevinter to aid his amatus. There is also indication in game banter the two may be married already. If he is in a relationship with Iron Bull instead, it's mentioned that when Dorian was kidnapped by some leftover Venatori, an unnamed mercenary band led by a Tal-Vashoth warrior crossed Tevinter's border and mounted a dangerous rescue operation. The mercenaries left a trail of freed slaves and dead Venatori in their wake, enabling Dorian to escape. When asked about the Tal-Vashoth in question, Magister Pavus declined to comment.
Dragon Age: Deception Edit
Sometime in 9:44, Dorian meets with Ser Aaron Hawthorne in Ventus to help him with his mission of infiltrating the Qintara estate. In the same tavern, he briefly encounters Olivia Pryde under her guise of Magister Aramis, and Calix, who very unsuccessfully attempts to con him. Later, when Olivia and Calix are confronted by one of their angry marks, Dorian uses his authority as a magister to make the problem go away, enabling Ser Aaron and Vaea to recruit them for the Qintara mission.As Ventus falls to the Qunari, Dorian provides Ser Aaron's group with the means of escaping the city while he stays behind to try and get as many people out as he can.
Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights Edit
Luck in the Gardens
Dorian credits his time in the south for changing his mind on slavery. His household now employs servants, not slaves. With Maevaris Tilani, Dorian has been keeping an eye on some of the Magisterium's scoundrels and trying to win a few over to their cause. When news of a new monster killing people in the depths of Minrathous surfaced, Dorian put up a bounty for its death. He eventually hires Hollix, a Lord of Fortune, to do the job. After Hollix successfully tracks down the monster, called the Cekorax, Dorian joins the final battle against it.
Half Up Front
- Main article: Dorian Pavus/Approval
Dorian enjoys witty banter, and playful flirtation. Flirting with Dorian (by either a male or female Inquisitor) will always garner you approval. He approves of any decisions made that support mages, and disapproves of disparaging remarks about Tevinter and mages. He favors witty or kind responses over aggressive ones.
Having seen firsthand what became of his mentor, Alexius, Dorian is wary of blood magic and any other forbidden uses of magic.
There are several instances where critical decisions made by the Inquisitor can influence Dorian's approval:
- Side with the rebel mages at Redcliffe by choosing to do the quest In Hushed Whispers.
- Say “Corypheus must be stopped” when made Inquisitor.
- After securing Adamant Fortress during Here Lies the Abyss, allow the Grey Wardens to join the Inquisition.
- Gain enough court approval (85 or more) in order to have Florianne de Chalons arrested when at the Winter Palace during Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts.
- Bring Celene and Briala back together at the Winter Palace.
- Allow Celene to be killed at the Winter Palace.
- Side with Abelas at the Temple of Mythal during What Pride Had Wrought.
- Defeat Calpernia without engaging in battle at the Temple of Mythal.
- Allow Morrigan drink from the Well of Sorrows at the Temple of Mythal (this will bring major approval if Dorian is romancing the Inquisitor).
- Conscript the mages at Redcliffe.
- Disband or side and befriend the templars at Therinfal Redoubt during Champions of the Just.
- Make Alexius tranquil in his judgment.
- Say you’ll “do it for my own power” when made Inquisitor.
- Exile the Grey Wardens after securing Adamant Fortress.
- Kill Ponchard during The Magister's Birthright.
- Choose Gaspard as sole ruler of Orlais during Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts.
- Refuse to be an ally with Abelas at the Temple of Mythal.
- Drink out of the Well of Sorrows at the Temple of Mythal (if Dorian is in a romance with the Inquisitor the disapproval will be greater).
Dorian is a romance option for a male Inquisitor of any race.
Whether Dorian joins up in Redcliffe or during the siege of Haven has little effect on his romance path. The Inquisitor can begin casually flirting with Dorian after the conclusion of In Hushed Whispers (or alternatively, at Skyhold if the Inquisitor chooses to recruit the templars). Eventually Dorian will begin to reciprocate, particularly as his side quests One Less Venatori and A Friend in Qarinus are completed.
Shortly after arriving at Skyhold and with a high enough approval, Mother Giselle will appear in the main hall to trigger the quest Last Resort of Good Men. The Inquisitor may take Dorian to Redcliffe with or without his knowledge, though the latter results in Dorian feeling betrayed. Regardless of the outcome, after returning to Skyhold Dorian reveals his father's attempt to "correct" his homosexuality through blood magic. If the Inquisitor is supportive of Dorian and selects the romantic response, the two will share a kiss.
Later, Mother Giselle and Dorian will be found having an argument. Mother Giselle informs the Inquisitor that the presence of an Imperium mage in his inner circle has many people suspicious that Dorian may be unduly influencing the leadership of the Inquisition. After she departs, Dorian tells the Inquisitor he does not care what people say about him, but he does worry that their romance may hurt the Inquisitor's reputation.
An additional companion quest involving the retrieval of Dorian's family amulet can be completed despite his insistence that the Inquisitor not get involved. Upon returning the amulet Dorian expresses mixed feelings, saying he is grateful but doesn't want it to appear as though his interest in the Inquisitor is purely for winning favors and self-gain.
Once Dorian's approval is high enough he will imply there is something "interesting" waiting in the Inquisitor's private quarters. Going to the bed chamber results in Dorian following along shortly thereafter and seductively propositioning the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor may then break off the romance, request that they slow things down, or sleep with Dorian. If the two are intimate a cutscene follows in which they set the parameters of their relationship: Dorian conveys he would like something deeper than just sex, but will back away if asked to. Again the Inquisitor can choose to end the relationship, make it exclusively about sex, or enter into a more emotional engagement with Dorian.
If the Inquisitor requests they slow things down Dorian will become confused. He will disbelievingly ask if the Inquisitor wants a relationship. The Inquisitor can confirm or say no. If they say yes Dorian will be shocked into silence and share that he has never been in a relationship and is unsure how to go about being in one. After being reassured the two will share a kiss and Dorian will leave.
If they are still involved at the conclusion of Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts, Dorian will approach the Inquisitor on the balcony and praise his efforts. They may share a private dance if the Inquisitor accepts. After returning to Skyhold after completing Here Lies the Abyss, Dorian angrily snaps at the Inquisitor for disappearing into the Fade, leaving him to believe the Inquisitor was dead. If Dorian was in the party during the mission, he says he arrived in the Fade first and panicked when the Inquisitor did not immediately follow, thinking the other did not survive.
After escaping the Temple of Mythal, Dorian informs the Inquisitor (regardless of the status/dialog path of their relationship) that he will be returning to Tevinter after they've defeated Corypheus. If asked about their romantic future, Dorian says leaving will be painful, but the Imperium will not change unless he takes a proactive role in guiding the Magisterium.
After the Elder One is destroyed, Dorian can be spoken to at the celebration in Skyhold where he again mentions he intends to leave the Inquisition. He will not depart for some time, however, and plans to remain at the Inquisitor's side for the time being. When the Inquisitor goes to retire to his quarters, Dorian follows. Upstairs the mage sarcastically tells the Inquisitor that he is "incredibly dull" and that he hates him. The Inquisitor smirks and asks if there is anything else. Dorian, still being playful, wraps his arms around the Inquisitor and says he hopes their relationship ends soon.
As of the events of the Trespasser DLC two years later, Dorian has returned to Orlais in the role of a token ambassador from the Imperium. The player catches up with him at him a farewell party, thrown by the other members of the Inquisition. Dorian sadly explains he is assuming his family seat in the Magisterium and thus will be returning Tevinter permanently. He apologizes to the Inquisitor and heads off any requests to go along, believing it would be too dangerous for his lover there. When asked if this is the end for them, Dorian presents his partner with a sending crystal; a magical device that will allow them to communicate and maintain their long distance relationship. He assures the Inquisitor that nothing will keep him from the man he loves, and their continued devotion to one another is reflected in the epilogue.
While not a romance option for a female Inquisitor, Dorian can still be flirted with to earn humorous dialogue. Picking one or more of the flirtatious options in conversations with him opens up a unique dialogue chain in the conversation that occurs after Last Resort of Good Men. The Inquisitor will accuse Dorian of leading her on, for which he will apologize. He states that he thinks the Inquisitor is a fine woman, and that if she wishes him to stop he will. The Inquisitor may admonish him for it, say that she wishes to remain friends, or encourage him to keep up with their playfully flirtatious relationship (the latter option earning major approval.)
Initial statistics Edit
|Ability trees||Initially selected abilities|
|Weapons|| Igneous Staff (Dorian)|
Damage: 23 Fire
|Armor|| Enchanter Coat|
Common Light Armor
Requires: Level 7
+6% Spirit Resistance
- Main article: Dorian Pavus/Dialogue
- "Selfish, I suppose. Not to want to spend my entire life screaming on the inside."
- "If I truly believed my homeland was beyond all hope, I wouldn't miss it so much."
- (About the Winter Palace) "I hope you tried the ham they were serving, by the way. Tasted of despair. Fascinating."
- "Better to be in the fold than out in the wilds? For a sheep, that is."
- "Living a lie... it festers inside you, like poison. You have to fight for what's in your heart."
- "Not everything from Tevinter is terrible. Some of us have fought for aeons against this sort of madness. It's my duty to stand with you."
- "In the south you have alienages, slums both human and elven. The desperate have no way out. Back home, a poor man can sell himself. As a slave he can have a position of respect, comfort, and could even support a family. Some slaves are treated poorly it's true, but do you honestly think inescapable poverty is better?"
- (Regarding the Inquisition's library) "All these 'gifts' to the Inquisition and the best they can do is the Malefica Imperio? Trite propaganda. But if you want twenty volumes on whether Divine Galatea took a shit on Sunday, this is evidently the place to find it."
- "Vishante kaffas"
- Dorian was written by David Gaider.
- Dorian is the first male companion who is an exclusive romance option for a male protagonist in the Dragon Age series.
- Promotional material for Dragon Age: Inquisition describes him as "The Redeemer".
- Dorian is named after the character "Prince Dorian" from the cartoon series The Mighty Hercules, which ran from 1962-1966.
- Dorian's real world analogue is Indian.
- Dorian enjoys playing chess.
- Dorian's greatest fear is temptation.
- The Pavus and the Trevelyan family are distantly related, although a human male Inquisitor can still romance him.
- Party banter between Cole and Dorian suggests that Dorian was, or wanted to be, in a romantic and/or sexual relationship with a man named Rilienus. Banter with Varric reveals that his family intended to marry him to a young woman named Livia Herathinos; the two intensely disliked each other.
- He's allergic to stripweed, a plant commonly used for tea.
- Dorian doesn't enjoy sailing. While on the Storm Coast he will mention that he had never been more sick than when he was crossing the Waking Sea and that the sea and he "don't mix well."
- If the Inquisitor doesn't romance Iron Bull or Dorian, the two will have party banter indicating a sexual relationship. If your friendship is high enough with either of them, you can ask them about their relationship before defeating Corypheus. If they are together, Dorian will say at the celebration party that his delayed return to Tevinter might be because of Bull. The romance can still be initiated and recognized in Trespasser so long as the 'about last night' banter between them is triggered.
Codex entries Edit
- There is a potential bug (all platforms) that may cause Dorian's romance not to trigger correctly. If Dorian's approval becomes too high before reaching Skyhold and an essential dialog is skipped, players may find his romance chain broken. The best way to ensure this does not occur is to not select any flirty responses (those marked with a heart) when speaking with Dorian until after receiving the cutscene regarding Felix's letter at Skyhold. This bug was corrected in Patch 5.
- Dorian's personal quest may not trigger correctly when the inquisitor and their party walk into the bar. This can be fixed by making Dorian the only member of the party before entering the bar or exiting the bar and entering again.
- There is a bug (all platforms) in the Trespasser DLC where Dorian will greet you as a friend even if you romanced him. The suspected cause is encouraging him to go back and fix Tevinter back in Skyhold (tested on PS4).