- Found under the trees in the Western Approach and Hissing Wastes
- 3 from Hissing Wastes Resources War table operation with Leliana
- Sold by Village of Crestwood Merchant in Crestwood for 000000004242
- Random loot from containers.
- Sold at the Winter Palace Merchant for 000000004242 (infinite amount).
There are two varieties. The more common Arcanist Deathroot was first found by Archon Hadrianus when he discovered it growing on several dead slaves. The other, Lunatic's Deathroot, is most closely associated with the story of the courtesan Melusine, who sought revenge on a powerful magister and his family. She harvested the plant, baked it into small pies for the magister's banquet, and presented them to the magister at a banquet. All the guests were seized by terrifying hallucinations after eating the pies and tore each other to pieces.—An excerpt from The Botanical Compendium, by Ines Arancia, botanist
—From Codex entry: Deathroot
- Needed for the quests:
- Ingredient in:
- Confusion Grenade (when fully upgraded)
- Pitch Grenade (when fully upgraded)
- Tears of the Dead (when fully upgraded)
- This is one of only two herbs which does not have seeds for planting in the garden of Skyhold (the other being Crystal Grace).
- In The Last Court, it is said that deathroot is most easily a poison, but with the correct preparation it could be used to cleanse a well which had been tainted by "some foulness of the earth" and begun to smell like brine mixed with rotting fruit. The well had caused an outbreak of disease which came with a burning fever and loosened the bowels, and in the worst cases, killed the sufferer. After being treated with the deathroot preparation, the well was clear and fresh again within a week. Deathroot was picked with gloves.