- “The city! It was supposed to be golden! It was supposed to be ours!”
Corypheus is a Tevinter magister who heeded the call of the Old God Dumat and demands Hawke and all present to show him the respect due a magister, not realising that the time of the Imperium has long since passed. Certain fragments of his post-awakened ramblings lead Hawke and the others to conclude that he truly was one of the magisters who entered the so-called Golden City and returned as one of the first darkspawn.
Some time after the First Blight in 1004 TE, the Grey Wardens under Sashamiri imprisoned Corypheus in a tower stemming from the Deep Roads in the middle of the Vimmark Mountains. Interrogation proved futile, as any Warden in his vicinity became mysteriously drawn to his influence. When removed from the area, they would have forgotten anything prior, and would be left dazed.
Interestingly, it appears that Corypheus emits a type of Calling to anyone bearing the Taint, similar to the Old Gods, which draws darkspawn and Warden alike to his lair.Janeka or Larius will ominously thank Hawke for their assistance and walk off. It seems to be implied that Corypheus, though defeated, has seemingly possessed the body of one of the Wardens and has escaped his prison.
- See Corypheus (strategy).
- "Be this some dream I wake from? Am I in dwarven lands? Why seem their roads so empty?"
- "You! Serve you at the temple of Dumat? Bring me hence! I must speak with the first acolyte!"
- "You look human. Are you not citizens of the Empire? Slaves then, to the dwarves? Why come you here?"
- "Whoever you be, you owe fealty to any magister of Tevinter. On your knees! All of you!"
- "Dumat! Lord! Tell me. What waking dream is this?"
- "The light. We sought the golden light. You offered... the power of the gods themselves. But it was... black... corrupt. Darkness... ever since. How long?"
- "If I cannot leave with you, I will leave through you! I seek the light!"
- "Dumat! Grant me your power!"
- "Dumat! We made the sacrifices! Give me strength!"
- The achievement "Conductor" requires the player to defeat Corypheus.
- Even though he is asleep he is able to communicate with those who have the Darkspawn taint including Grey Wardens. This causes Larius and Anders great distress.
- It is possible that, like the Archdemons, Corypheus is able to transfer his soul to the nearest organism bearing the Taint and survive destruction if killed by a non-Warden. This would explain how he might have survived the events at the end of Legacy.