Background[edit | edit source]
On the edge of the empire, they erected a prison: Coracavus, the dark pit. Far removed from the cultural heart of the Imperium, Coracavus held and meted out punishment to local peoples who denied Tevinter's claims to the region and to so-called "loyal" citizens who believed living on the fringes of civilization would grant them immunity from the Imperium's laws..
Coracavus was used to house prisoners, whose crimes ranged from treason to public indecency, dating as far back as to before the Second Blight. Political prisoners who could not be sentenced with execution were sent to Coracavus. It was widely known that bribes bought nothing and having the right name rewarded no leniency. Individuals hearing "Coracavus" passed as a judgment begged for death, which was considered a mercy..
The prison was eventually abandoned and remained sealed until 9:41 Dragon when a Venatori expedition to the Western Approach, led by Crassius Servis, arrived and began to excavate it in search of lost Tevinter knowledge. To increase the pace of the work, the Venatori captured a Giant to take on the heavier excavating tasks.
Unbeknownst to the Venatori, the ancient Tevinters had unwittingly built Coracavus over an old entrance to the Deep Roads. The Venatori activity lured darkspawn out from the deep; they poured into the prison after workers breached a wall adjacent to one of the Roads. The Venatori sustained casualties after defeating the first wave of darkspawn; however, Servis ordered work be continued. A second wave of darkspawn followed and proved extremely challenging, they slaughtered the remaining workers forcing the Venatori to abandoned Coracavus constraining them to focus efforts elsewhere.
Involvement[edit | edit source]
Areas[edit | edit source]
- North Prisoner Entrance
- Guard's Hall
- Holding Cells
- Records Room
- Front Corridor
- South Entrance
The ruins can only be entered for the first time through the North Prisoner Entrance, which soon connects to the Guard's Hall. Here, stairs can be taken east (downward) into the Holding Cells or following the path forward through the hall will lead into the Records Room. The Records Room contains a few adjacent rooms and a locked room to the west. Continuing on the main path south through the hallway, the Front Corridor, will lead to a large outdoor courtyard. Passing through the door connects to the South Entrance, a large coliseum like courtyard, but be wary of the Giant guarding the area. Once defeated, opening the adjacent door to the south connects to a small hallway leading to Coracavus' southern exit back into the Approach.
Quests[edit | edit source]
Enemies[edit | edit source]
- Freed Are Slaves (piece #9) - behind the locked door in the Records Room.
Herbs[edit | edit source]
Notable items[edit | edit source]
- - in a torture cell, containing a hanged man, located to the right of the stairs in the Holding Cells.
Loot[edit | edit source]
- - looted from a chest located next to the mosaic piece obtained behind the locked door in the Records Room.
- - looted from a chest in Echoback Fort after exiting south from Coracavus back into the Approach; see side quest The Trouble with Darkspawn.
- - looted from a chest located behind the locked door in the Records Room.
Codex entries[edit | edit source]
Note texts[edit | edit source]
- Ancient List of Prisoners
- A Blood-Spattered Note
- A Crumpled Note
- Faded Interrogation Notes
- Venatori Plans
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The giant is too large for the arch and will not enter the Front Corridor.
- The South Entrance leads to the Echo Back Canyon Camp; the Gates of Toth and the gate's release lever are located southwest of the camp.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]