The companions in Dragon Age: Origins are the people who accompany the Warden on their journey. The Warden can make decisions which will result in a companion leaving, or even dying. If a companion leaves the Warden or dies, their equipment will be lost.
Approval plays an important part in companion interaction. It changes based on plot decisions or gifts. High approval provides combat bonuses, the ability to have longer conversations, and possible romance options; low approval may lead a companion to desert you.
There are ten potential companions in Dragon Age: Origins, and six in its expansion Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening. In Awakening, an Orlesian Warden-Commander may be the protagonist, depending on the events of Origins.
|Legend:|| The character has a companion quest.|
The character can be romanced.
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
A Tale of Orzammar
The companions of A Tale of Orzammar DLC.
The companions of Leliana's Song DLC.
The Darkspawn Chronicles
The companions of The Darkspawn Chronicles DLC.
The Golems of Amgarrak
The companions of The Golems of Amgarrak DLC.
The companions of Witch Hunt DLC.
These companions join the party temporarily, most of them during the Origins portion of the game.
Companions will often speak to each other about a variety of topics. There are specific locations where this banter can occur.
- Dragon Age: Origins
- The bridge between the two halves of Lothering, as well as the south refugee camp and near the well in the north part of the village.
- The bridges in Redcliffe Village, especially the one leading from the main square to a sort of corner where boats are tethered.
- Near the entrance/exit of the Dalish Camp.
- First hallway of the Apprentice Quarters in the Circle Tower.
- Outside of Orzammar, near the circular dais.
- In the Hall of Heroes, at Orzammar.
- The bridge in Orzammar Commons that leads to the Proving Grounds.
- In the Diamond Quarter, in front of the Orzammar Assembly.
- Caridin's Cross in the Deep Roads (first bend).
- Ortan Thaig in the Deep Roads (first bend).
- At the lakeside docks in Haven.
- Near the entrance of Arl Eamon's Estate in Denerim.
- Inside Wade's Emporium.
- Inside the Gnawed Noble Tavern, in the side corridor.
- Inside Alarith's shop at Denerim Alienage.
- Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening
- In the courtyard of Vigil's Keep.
- In the basement of Vigil's Keep.
- Entrance of Kal'Hirol.
- Entrance of Kal'Hirol - Main Hall.
- Entrance of Kal'Hirol - Trade Quarter.
- Near the entrance of the Crown and Lion Inn.
- The gates of Amaranthine.
- The northeastern corner of Amaranthine.
- Path behind the Ruined Caravan in the Wending Wood.
- South of the dragonling pen in the Silverite Mine.
- After the rickety bridge in the Knotwood Hills.
- Entrance of the Blackmarsh.
- Stairs to the mountain top in the Blackmarsh.
Party change locations
There are certain locations in which you can change your current party without going to the Party Camp.
- Outdoors in Lothering.
- In the Circle Tower, you can change party in the room you encounter Wynne during the Broken Circle quest.
- When you encounter Taliesen, Zevran will join your party. After the impending fight though he can be switched to whomever you had in the party before the fight if Zevran wasn't a party member.
- After clearing the first wave of enemies when entering Ostagar proper as part of the Return to Ostagar DLC.
- In the village of Redcliffe.
- In the Lake Calenhad Docks.
- On the Mountain Top.
- Orzammar Commons, Diamond Quarter and Hall of Heroes.
- Frostback Mountain Pass
- Dalish Camp
- In the Denerim Alienage.
- During the development process of Dragon Age: Origins, companions were to develop the darkspawn taint, and eventually would have been put through the Joining after the Landsmeet.
- Gaider, David. "Your companions and the Taint". BioWare Social Network. Retrieved 2011-01-19.