- “So close, the well knows its vessel and those who would despoil it.”
If the inquisition recruits the Templars...
Calpernia will first be seen during the Venatori attack on Haven, standing beside her master, Corypheus.
Eventually, the Inquisitor will be given the Under Her Skin quest, during which it will be revealed that Calpernia is preparing herself to become a 'Vessel' of sort, though of what is not revealed until later in the game. It is also revealed during this quest that not only does Calpernia not entirely trust the Elder One, but that her distrust is justified as Corypheus secretly intended to imprison and bind Calpernia as soon as she became this Vessel, effectively re-enslaving her to his will.
When encountered at the Well of Sorrows, in the Temple of Mythal, her Venatori soldiers slaughtering a number of Ancient Elves while seeking passage to the well. The Inquisitor will eventually come into confrontation with her and Calpernia will give them the opportunity to leave or fight.
A third option, in which the Inquisitor reveals the Elder One's intent to betray and bind Calpernia as he did her previous owner, Erasthenes, is available should the aforementioned quest is completed. If taken, Calpernia will demand that the Inquisitor prove their claim, to which they will show her a scroll containing the ritual used to bind her old master. After reading the contents of the scroll, a furious Calpernia will burn the scroll in a rage before revealing the reasons why she joined the Elder One in the first place, that she desired to see a reborn Tevinter Imperium, free of its corruption. Afterward, Calpernia will leave the Inquisitor's party free access to the Well of Sorrows as she goes to confront her former master, promising to return to Tevinter if she survived.
If the option to battle is taken, Calpernia will summon Venatori soldiers as well as demons to her aid while she attacks the Inquisitor with fire-based spells.
As soon as the fight is concluded, she will teleport up to a ledge, proclaiming that she will not fall to the Inquisitor, and commits suicide by plummeting off.
If the inquisition recruits the Mages...
- "If I fall it will not be by your hand!"
- "I will be ready. As the Vessel, and Tevinter's champion."
- "Tevinter was the cradle of civilization. Imagine what her future could be. A crafter of wonders, standing against the savage Qunari. A beacon for all."
- According to Patrick Weekes, Calpernia quickly became a favorite of the writers due to her intriguing story and personality.
- According to Leliana, Calpernia is the name of an ancient Tevinter legend. The Calpernia of old was a priestess of Dumat and foster-mother to the founder of the Imperium.