The Blades of Hessarian are an armed religious milita and an Andrastian cult operating along the Storm Coast of Ferelden. They claim their work is often misunderstood and their true purpose is to serve Andraste and whoever proves worthy of wielding them.
Background[edit | edit source]
——A Blade of Hessarian, telling of the order's founding
The Blades of Hessarian are an ancient secret society who believe they serve Andraste and were chosen to bring her judgment upon the weak and the corrupt. The order was founded, according to their tales, by the Tevinter slave Trefir, who returned to the lands of the Alamarri bearing the Sword of Mercy. Since then, the Blades followed the one who bore the sword with unquestioning loyalty, as he or she was considered to have been chosen by Andraste.
Chantry scholars have determined that Trefir's account, detailed above, is pure fabrication. If Trefir even existed, it is likely he stole the Sword of Mercy from Hessarian, his master, before fleeing to what is now Ferelden. Less generous interpretations maintain that Trefir simply passed off his own sword as the Sword of Mercy to gain power and influence.
—From Codex entry: The Blades of Hessarian
Involvement[edit | edit source]
The Inquisitor first hears of the group when scout Harding briefs them on the disappearance of her scouts. When exploring the Storm Coast, the Inquisitor encounters members of the Blades of Hessarian both randomly and as part of the quest Cleaning House.
When clearing one of their outposts during Cleaning House, the Inquisitor finds a note mentioning an amulet called Mercy's Crest. If the Inquisitor chooses to craft this amulet and equip it, they can safely enter the group's main camp. Upon arrival, the leader challenges the Inquisitor to fight him regardless of whether the Inquisitor approaches him peacefully. Once the fight is over, the Inquisitor can talk to one of the members. He explains they were stuck with their previous leader and they are happy with someone as worthy as the Herald of Andraste taking over their group. At this point any member of the Blades of Hessarian encountered on the coast will be an ally, and they are recruited as agents of the Inquisition under Cullen.
Ranks[edit | edit source]
- Hessarian Leader
- Hessarian Archer (Rogue)
- Hessarian Blade (Warrior - One-Handed Axe)
- Hessarian Shield (Warrior - Mace and Tower Shield)
- Hessarian Hound
Codex entries[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The group's name refers to Archon Hessarian's killing of Andraste with the Blade of Mercy to spare the prophetess the agony of a long drawn out death by burning.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- A bug may sometimes occur after the defeat of the Blades of Hessarian's leader during the challenge option. The Blades are for all intents and purposes agents, including the Cullen time bonus and the Missions. However, the Blades do not appear on Cullen's Forces perks page, and do not contribute to his over all perks count. No known post-quest solution to this bug has been found, and reloading prior to the fight appears to not always solve the issue.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Dragon Age: The World of Thedas, vol. 2, p. 98