You misunderstand the point of secrecy. Of course they knew that I was there—one of their number was dead. It is never the aim that they are ignorant to my purpose or presence. Death is, after all, a message, and messages are meant to be received. It is paramount that the arrival remain secret, not the result. They know what may come, but never when—until the answer is "now" and there is naught they can do but receive.A treatise on cutting edges and other debilitating elements follows.
—From Codex entry: Way of the Assassin
Any rogue can kill a target, but assassins make death into an art form. They specialize in quick, deadly kills that let them slide back into the shadows undetected, or indirect kills that eliminate targets while the assassin is safely away.
- Writing on assassin methods (available from either near Cole in Skyhold tavern or, if you did not recruit Cole, the book merchant in Val Royeaux).
- 3 assassin guild leader tokens. **NOTE: These are the Assassin Weapons needed to craft the knife** You will need to kill the bandit assassins. The strongest one will drop the token. All are located in Crestwood:
- Northwest of New Crestwood, at a dock on the lake.
- West of New Crestwood, near the Fisherman's Shack.
- South of the dam, west of the dragon encounter at a quarry.
- It is also obtainable by killing assassins in Valammar.
- 20 deathroot. Look in The Western Approach for deathroot. Or buy deathroot in the Village of Crestwood.
- Knife materials have now been acquired. Go to the requisition desk and make the item required.
||They'll swear you leapt from the shadows like the thrown blade and hit your target with a flurry of strikes from every angle... but its obvious that you were nowhere near them at the time.
||You use Hidden Blades faster and more easily, launching even more strikes on your victim.
|I Was Never Here||
||You have learned to use the distraction of an enemy's death to slip silently into the shadows. Killing a target removes any cooldown on Stealth.|
|Knife in the Shadows||
||You are a deadly threat to any enemy that can't see you coming. When you attack from stealth, you automatically critical hit.|
||A wounded enemy is the perfect target. Your attacks are even deadlier against targets that are close to death already.
||You hurl a grenade containing a powerful concoction that put nearby enemies to sleep. Sleeping enemies awaken after taking damage.
||Enemies affected by Knockout Bomb sleep more deeply, allowing your allies to hit them even harder with flanking damage.|
|Gaps in the Armor||
||Your attacks slip past armor to find a target's hidden vulnerabilities.
|Mark of Death||
||You mark your enemy, and every hit adds part of its power to the mark's damage. Trigger your mark when you are ready, and watch your enemy fall from injuries that were never even noticed. You can manually trigger the mark early for bonus damage.
|Mark of Doom||
||While it is active, Mark of Death leaves the target vulnerable to even more injury.|
|Cloak of the Shadows||
||You go into stealth, and your allies follow your lead. The entire party remains undetected for the duration of the effect, even while attacking. This ability consumes and is powered by Focus.