In the legend of the Seven Brothers who created the caste system, Shotkyar founded the Artisan caste.
The smiths are responsible for providing the various goods required by the other castes and as such work in tandem with the Artisan caste for many of their products. Artisans ornament these goods or produce items purely for their own sake--as such, they are the artists of dwarven society. Professions where the roles of smiths and artisans are joined typically view their members as smiths, though this can vary from profession to profession.
Artisans are not viewed with the same esteem as the smiths, but they take this dismissal in stride. The finest artisans work closely with smiths, who often lack the precision and finesse to properly ornament and finish a piece. An artisan might be called in to engrave a weapon, for example.
Leather and cloth goods are typically created entirely by artisans, though those intended for nobles often incorporate chain mail created by smiths.
Known Artisan houses Edit
Artisan houses are listed in an alphabetical order and those whose status is unknown have their name italicized.
Known members Edit
See also Edit
- ↑ According to Shaper Czibor in Dragon Age: Origins.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Player's Guide, set 2, pp. 14-15
- ↑ Dragon Age (tabletop RPG), Player's Guide, set 2, p. 13
- ↑ Mentioned by Varric Tethras in Dragon Age II; the artisans of the house craft ceramics using clay from the Aedros Atuna river.
- ↑ The family name of Gatsi Sturhald.
- ↑ Mentioned by Varric Tethras in Dragon Age II.