As a companion's approval increases (or decreases), their feelings towards the Inquisitor will also change. Initially, they are at "Neutral" upon joining. As the approval changes, their greetings and dialogue will change slightly to reflect their relationship.
Companions start at 0 when met or recruited (with the exception of Dorian, whose starting number is determinant). Exact approval value is not shown in-game. It can be gauged by examining the companion's card on the Gather Party screen or by the changes in their greetings (see individual guides listed below for details). Only the nine companions have approval rankings. The advisors do not.
- Slightly Approves and Slightly Disapproves: +/- 1 point
- Approves and Disapproves: +/- 5 points
- Greatly Approves and Greatly Disapproves: +/- 20 points[note]
- Hostile: -75 to -30
- Cold: -29 to -5
- Neutral: -4 to 34
- Warm: 35 to 74
- Friendly: 75 to 125
Approval guide for each companion
- Approval messages depend on actual change in approval. Thus, they will not appear if approval for given companion is capped, and might show lesser approval message than expected if their approval level is close to the cap.
- There are some reports of Greatly Approves having a value as low as 10 and as high as 30, but 20 seems to be most common.