Acquisition[edit | edit source]
This quest can be triggered by finding any of the three portions of the codex entry: Stronghold of the Apostate Mages:
- Along the road from the Crossroads to Redcliffe Village: a note inside a cabin by a crop field. The cabin is almost directly east of the Mage Hideout on the map.
- Pass through the tunnel from the Crossroads and turn right immediately after exiting. Follow the path and veer to the left to find a small cave framed by trees. There is a note on a table inside the cave.
- A note, dropped randomly by a Rebel Spellbinder.
The quest can also be triggered by simply approaching the Apostate Stronghold in Witchwood.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Search Witchwood for the entrance to the Apostate Stronghold. Head towards the highlighted area on the World map, and continue on north to reach the stronghold. The campsite just outside the stronghold will have several apostates wandering about. The entrance will be protected by a fire elemental barrier, and additional apostates will be found within. Clearing all the apostate lurking around the camp and inside the stronghold completes the quest.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Completing the quest yields:
- 354 XP
- Influence 200
- Power 2
Looting the elite Apostate Mage yields:
Codex entries[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This quest must be completed prior to the Inquisition relocating to Skyhold via the completion of the main quest In Your Heart Shall Burn. Once this quest is completed, the Mage-Templar War will conclude and the side quest disappears. It will be moved to completed quests section of the Journal and state, "The apostates are gone."
- Once this quest is completed, random mage groups will no longer spawn in the Hinterlands, although some scripted encounters may remain. If both, this quest and Templars to the West are completed, the battle/fighting sound effect around Fort Connor, the West Road and Witchwood will stop.
- The level 7 elite Apostate Mage inside the Apostate Stronghold will always drop the .
- The cave is also the final location revealed for completing Astrariums in the Hinterlands. A new section to cave will open up once the three astrarium puzzles in the region have been solved.