I was curious since there's a decent amount of people who draw half-elves (especially Alistair) with slightly pointed ears. For me, I tend to ignore it, simply because it's just boring imo.
That's actually one of major secret worries of my Hawke, so I won't ignore it. That's uniqueness of Merrill Romance. I doubt Fenris would mind much if he doesn't have an elf kid, that his kids would look all too human. But for Merrill it could be a big issue.
I think it makes it unique in a fantasy sense, as though all physical elven traits are inherently recessive by default.
The fact that half-elves, at least in appearance, seem almost completely human, just adds to how the elves are continuing to lose themselves over time.
I think it's too bad to ignore it. It's part of the univers and lore. It accentuates their pitiful aspect. They already lost so much and every time one of them choose a non-elf partner, they disappear a bit more. The drama.
Also it's kinda "funny" when a elf-blooded (so physically humain) gains a high position in society when there is so much racism toward elves.
But to ignore it, it's like ignoring that in Mass Effect: whatever + asari = asari.
Contrary to the Asari in Mass Effect, no good reason is given for the lack of half-elves. As such, it appears like it was added out of convenience rather than for an actual lore reason, which is pretty jarring.
No, I adhere to it and I expect Bioware to do the same. There are no half-elves in the setting. It's been stated clearly that any races that mixes with elves to produce offspring produce offspring of the non-elf parent. Human + Elf = Human; Dwarf + Elf = Dwarf; and although not clearly stated, it is very unlikely that a Qunari + Elf would produce anything else but a Qunari, given their very dominant genes thanks to centuries of planned breeding.
What I'd be much more interested in would be a Half-Dwarf, because those have actually stated to be real, if incredibly rare.
I don't ignore it, but I'm inclined to call the execution not very well thought out.
I can see why they did not wanted to go down the rabbit hole half-races present, but sometimes I feel as if elf-bloodedness was added originally and solely for Alistair's background. I probably would have made it not so much of damning all-or-nothing thing, like instead of 100% chance of children from these unions being fully human, I would have set it up as 75% chance of fully human vs. 25% chance of the child being fully elven. These are still pretty bad ratios if we consider overall elven survival, but at least not impossible.
Oh, and I just hate how quite a lot of fans aware of the concept whine about them elves being so evil for isolating themselves. Well, they frickin' need to do that to a certain degree if they do not just want to cease to exist, duh. Also, for any female elf in relationship with a human, quite some folks seem to ignore the implications, i.e. Cullavellan seems to be very popular, but very few seem to think of the implications of female Dalish elf + quite conservative andstrastian human male.
What do you think?